Confused about How to set up a VPN on PS5? Then this guide will help you set up a VPN on your PlayStation 5 console within a few minutes with a very easy and beginner guide.
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network and installing a VPN on your PS5 can provide you many benefits in many ways as well. You are able to switch your geographical location and unlock content blocked in your region.
This doesn’t mean that the VPN will change your PSN region though. For this, you need to create a PSN account of a particular region of the world.
A VPN basically does the job of changing the IP address. It connects you to a server that’s not in your region and this helps to unlock the restricted content. The thing is most companies have region-locked content so, a VPN will simply connect you to the geo-locked server with ease.
In addition, VPN also encrypts your data and saves it from your ISP. Generally, ISP has the right to monitor your network but a VPN doesn’t let that happen.
How to Set Up a VPN On PS5?
Setting up a VPN on PS5 is a bit tricky because you can’t find a VPN app on the PS Store. But then, how do you set it up? Well, you can follow the methods given below:
Connect VPN from your PC
You can connect the VPN on your desktop or laptop computers and then run an Ethernet cable from your system to your console. It might not be the best solution but it is the easiest one. Here’s how you can do this in different operating systems:
- Go to Control Panel and open the Network and Sharing Center.
- Choose the “Change adapter settings” option from the list present on the left.
- Right-click on your connection and select Properties.
- Just move over to the Sharing tab and enable the “Allow other network users to connect” option.
- Now, click the OK button.
- Head over to your PlayStation and visit the Network settings option to set up a new connection.
- Choose the LAN cable option and don’t use a proxy.
- On your macOS, go to the System Preferences tab in the menu and then go to the Sharing option. Click on Internet Sharing.
- Now select the Wi-fi option and share your connection from the dropdown menu.
- Choose the Ethernet tab from the ‘To Computers” option.
- After this, you can go to the Network settings and choose the Set Up Internet Connection option and then select the Use a LAN Cable option. After this, select the Do Not Use a Proxy Server, and now, your PS5 should be connected to the VPN.
Use VPN on your Router
Yes, you heard it right. You can definitely install a VPN on your router. When you do this, any device connected to your router will automatically have a VPN connection. Most of the VPNs have a connection limit on devices but using this method will let you connect multiple devices to your router and then those devices can have VPNs too.
This method is a bit difficult to pull off. This is because different routers have their own methods, UI, and system software. VPN providers will give you a detailed guide to get their service up and running though. You can also contact their customer support if anything confuses you.
Use Smart DNS
This method will let you access any content on the Web and it will even encrypt your data. Not every VPN provider will offer this service but those who do allow it, can use the method to stream the content in a matter of minutes and you need to always choose the best PS5 DNS Server for it.
Follow the steps below to do this:
- Go to your PlayStation’s network settings page and select the View Connection Status option. Note down the IP that it will give you.
- Now, On your PC, log into your VPN’s website and look for a smart DNS option on the Control Panel.
- You are going to see an option called ‘Activate IP Address’ and then enter your PS5’s IP address. You are given two numbers then: Primary DNS and a Secondary DNS.
- Now, go back to the PS5 network settings and select your connection. Go to the Advanced settings and then on the DNS settings. You can now enter the primary and secondary DNS numbers from earlier.
- When you are done entering the numbers, you can now connect to anywhere in the world.
Using a VPN is the best way of making sure you are able to connect to every corner of the world. When you have a stable VPN, you are able to access content that you would not have been able to access otherwise. You can use a variety of VPN services as well. And as far as the methods go, use any of the above methods that you find are easy and best for you.
Can I set up a VPN on my PS5 without a PC?
Yes, you can use a VPN on your gaming console without connecting it to a PC but you need to set up a hotspot from your mobile phone and connect the PS5 to that hotspot.
After you connect your PS5 to a mobile hotspot now you need to connect to a phone to VPN. If your phone is on a limited data plan it can b costly and you cannot use a home Wi-Fi connection to mobile and it connected to PS5. So, we just recommend you to use a PC for better surfing and a better gaming experience.
Can I use a free VPN on my PlayStation?
You can absolutely use a free VPN on your console, but we don’t recommend it and the reason is free VPNs are very slow and they take a lot of time to download as well as uploading content. Which will directly affect your gaming as well as your surfing internet on PS5.
Also, free VPNs come with a lot of risks, so we better suggest you stay away from it, instead, you need to get the best VPN for PS5 which comes at a very low price.
How will a VPN make my PlayStation better?
A good VPN can make your gaming console very good in many many ways but be sure that your PS5 has met all the requirements it needs from the VPN side.
- Protects your console from DDoS attacks and this is the worst part that many gamers have faced. The internet is full of good as well as bad stuff and there’s always someone who tries to do harm to others. But when you connect to the VPN, it will hide your original location and the spammers can never reach out to you.
- Geo blocked content will be available and this is the main reason most of the time gamer use VPN for. You will get a grant to many contents which is geo-blocked.
- Sometimes it helps increase your internet speed but this is not recommended just sometimes, it will help your internet speed to go faster than your current Wi-Fi connection speed. And your internet surfing speed may get faster but while playing games or on the time of downloading content it will get much slower.
- Choose international gaming servers and this is the best part, if you want to face competitors from another region then you must surely, use VPN and it will help you to choose another location from where you can also get to go on international gaming servers.
Also, you can use only 1 paid VPN to use on multiple devices with no issues. It just works fine and you can use it on your PC, mobile, and on your Playstation 5 at the same time with no troubles.