The Windows 10 update error 0x80240034 is pretty common and this error is pretty annoying. Your Windows update will get stuck at some point while installation and it will fail after a certain time.
You can see the error code 0x80240034 when you click on the update history tab. This error can be solved easily but it does require some technical tricks.
Also, this error is only common in certain versions of windows update so, you might not even face this issue. There are many people that do experience this problem on different Windows builds.
Today, we are going to be providing you the fixes that you can try out to solve this issue once and for all on your Windows computer. So, without any further delay, let us get into this review.
Other windows update errors you may get:
Fixes for the Windows 10 Update Error 0x80240034
There are two main fixes for the Windows 10 update error and these fixes are given below:
Fix 1: Clear the Windows Update Cache
The Windows Update Cache when cleared will reset the update client and a fresh update will be installed. This will clear all the issues with the windows update.
You can download the update once the corrupted files are cleared. Clearing this folder will make windows re-download the content to fix all the issues with the update.
You can follow the steps given below to fix the issue:
- Go to the Windows Search bar and type in the command prompt.
- Now run the command prompt as Administrator.
- Type in net stop wuauserv and hit the enter button.
- On the command prompt, type in another command: rmdir %windir%\SoftwareDistribution /S /Q and hit enter again.
- Now the third command you need to enter is net start wuauserv and you can now press enter. This could solve the problem for you.
Fix 2: Update with an ISO File
If the method above did not manage to solve your problem, you need to now use a Windows ISO. What we mean is, you need to create a Windows 10 bootable disk on your Flash drive.
Just use any software that enables you to make ISOs and burn your Windows Image on a bootable device.
When you are done, cold boot your system through the bootable device and you will be able to install the latest version of fresh windows along with the appropriate update.
This method is very applicable when you update your windows client from regular and different issues frequently pop up.
Reasons for the Windows 10 Update Error 0x80240034
The actual reason behind this Windows update error is not known. We have deduced three main reasons though and these might just explain why your windows 10 is showing this update related issue:
- The antivirus software is stopping the Windows Update service.
- The Update files are corrupted because of malware.
- The proper updates cannot be installed because of a poor internet connection.
- There is a problem while transferring the previous settings with the update client.
The Windows 10 Update Error 0x80240034 is fixable if you follow the two methods given above. Clearing the cache and restarting the update process from the scratch can fix the error.
In addition, you can also fix this error if you make use of an ISO file to burn the image of Windows 10 to a bootable drive.
The error is quite common in some versions of Windows update so, if you are also facing the issue, be sure to follow this article in full. The methods given above will surely help you out.