If you don’t use a genuine version of windows, you might have seen the “Activate Windows 10” watermark right at the bottom right part of your screen. Although this watermark doesn’t do anything, it can look pretty bad and if it bothers you, you have landed in the right place.
In this article, we are going to be providing you the fixes that you can certainly use to get rid of this watermark. So, let us begin!
Why do you need activated windows?
There are a lot of features that come with activated windows. For one, you don’t get the watermark. You also get all the security features as well as windows defender with activated windows. If you don’t have activated windows, you cannot install Microsoft office or any other security updates. This is why you need your windows to be properly activated.
Reasons for the Activate Windows 10 watermark
A few reasons for the Activate Windows 10 watermark is given below:
- Your windows 10 installation is not genuine, you have used a built copy or a cracked copy without the serial key and this is why the watermark is showing.
- Your Antivirus software hasn’t let a third party application properly register your windows.
- You haven are installed proper updates recently.
- you AdBlock may not be working properly.
You can also get rid of errors like Windows Update Error 0x8024a105 after removing and activating windows.
Fixes for the Activate Windows 10 watermark
Fix 1: Use Windows registry editor (regedit) to remove the watermark
- The first thing to do is to open the Windows Registry Editor. Just go to the start menu and search for the ‘Regedit’
- Now expand the folder in the registry editor called HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
- You can see the option “PaintDesktopVersion” on the right side, double click on this one
- Now, change the value “1” to “0” and click on OK to save the changes.
- You can now close the registry editor and restart your computer.
Fix 2: Use Code to remove the watermark
This is one of the best fixes for the Activate Windows watermark. To perform this fix, you can simply create a new text document and copy the code given below in that document:
taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe
Once you have copied the code above simply save this file with the name “Activation” and set the extension to “.bat” i.e. the file should be named “Activation.bat”, once you have done it run this batch file with the administrator privileges.
Fix 3: Disable with the help of Powershell
A great way to fix this activation problem in windows 10 is to use the PowerShell. We can temporarily activate windows for 90 days using this fix. After the 90 days are over, simply reactivate the windows. To do this, follow the following instruction:
- Go to the start menu and search for PowerShell, run it as administrator. Click yes if a UAC prompt is glashed.
- In the PowerShell menu type the command: slmgr /renew and then press the enter key.
- Now, restart your computer and your windows will be activated for 3 months. After the 3 months, repeat the process.
Fix 4: Use KMS
You can use KMS Client Product Key from Microsoft Homepage to search for the product keys. Follow the steps below to use the KMS client:
- Open the command prompt with admin privileges.
- Get the product key and type ipk “product key”, hit enter now
- Now the next thing to do is to set the KMS server, you can set the server as kms8.msguides.com and hit enter again in the cmd.
- Now all you got to do is enter the “slmgr /ato” command. After you do this, your windows 10 will be activated.
- When your Windows is Activated, the watermark will be removed automatically.
One of the problems with kms is, it can give you unwanted malware like FileRepMalware. We recommend you to read about this malware before using this fix.
Removing the Windows 10 watermark is an easy process. But one thing we will recommend is that you get the genuine windows if you can. The thing with genuine windows is that it is better than cracked windows. A genuine version of the Operating System will give you better security and other features such as timely windows update and a good Windows Defender feature too.
So, always try to use genuine windows whenever you can. Windows 10 isn’t that expensive too so, you can get a genuine version of it at a considerably affordable price. You can also use one copy of windows for up to 4 devices so, one genuine copy will be enough for your family if everyone uses Windows.
But yeah, if you still insist on using a cracked version of windows, you can definitely follow the instructions above to remove the watermark and activate windows. Activating a cracked version of windows is also a very good thing. It will at least provide you some type of security against viruses, malware, and outside threats.